- As the biggest earner in box-office history, Avatar may need no
introduction as grand sci-fi adventure that put 3D on the map. But
best of all, it can be appreciated for what it was meant to be - an exciting and thoroughly immersive visit to a vivid new fantasy
9 - With its smart script, mix of genres and engaging narrative,
it's a rarity in mainstream cinema - a socially relevant film that hides itself as a sci-fi actioner.
Basterds - A terrific re-invention of the World War II
movie, it's an impressive, thoroughly entertaining flick that puts the genre on its
- The Lovely Bones
- Part nail-biting suspense thriller, part 70's era family drama and part supernatural
fantasy, it's an affecting, suspenseful tale that weaves its magic
- Moon - A breath of fresh air in
the science-fiction genre, this is an intimate, smart, well-acted gem.
- A contemplative, thought-provoking tribute to a true-life
- Red Cliff (Part I and Part
II) - A terrific return to form for action master John Woo,
it's a winning combination of melodrama and historical war epic and a sure-fire
classic. Make sure you catch the original 4-plus hour production.
- Sherlock Holmes
- Die-hard, literate fans of the classic hero will scream murder, but audiences ready to give the character a go as a mainstream blockbuster movie hero are sure to have a blast.
- Star Trek
- With it's heavy doses of cosmic adventure, kinetic pacing and re-imagining of the popular universe,
the movie boldly goes where the franchise hasn't been in a long while.
Revenge of the Fallen - It won't win any Oscars, but it sure is the apex of the popcorn blockbuster and it's this year's biggest guilty pleasure.
- UP - A poignant, entertaining adventure full of life and imagination,
it proves once again that nobody does it quite like the Pixar team. Terrific, smart family entertainment.
- Up in the Air - Capturing the current "zeitgeist" in these days of economic
uncertainty, it's an engaging, mature, clever and funny drama.
- Watchmen - With its bleak, uncompromising turn given to every aspect of this world and its flawed
heroes, there's never been anything quite like it, and for those coming in without preconceived notions it's bound to be
both satisfying and startling.